Thursday, December 15, 2005

Forget vs. Forgot

Now please, correct me if I’m am in the midst of a great misunderstanding. I have continuously become agitated with the common use of “forget” when someone is saying what they are trying to remember that has slipped their mind. Emphasis on the slipped. PAST TENSE. How can one define the moment at which they are forgetting something to say that at that point, “oh, I forget.” You already FORGOT it!

Ok I can see someone habitually FORGETing something and then it is thereby forgotten each time, but that individual is in a constant state of forgetfulness. In this case the person could say, “I always forget where I left my keys.” Since it happens more than once, it’ll happen again so you are in the midst of forgetting and it is therefore a present tense. Ok, that’s enough for this early morning, refusing to study anymore, post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mondays depress me.

jOY said...

what doesn't depress u? oh wait i know...

C-4 said...

Terminators don't depress me.